Tuesday 9 September 2014

My Baby Girl is Huge!



My baby girl is huge!  All day, it’s her and me, at the park, at the shops, in the café, on the sofa, we’re partners in crime from dawn to dusk.  Our days start bright and swathed in positivity and hope, hope of naps to be had, nursing to satisfy, and we tumble together, getting ever more chaotic, faster and louder into the evening, a giant snowball of smiles, coos, cries, nappies and bottles.

Her smiles are there for me in HD – I spend time in awe of how beautiful and perfect she is, not wanting to break the spell until she does.  Her screams come in surround sound, echoing through me like no noise ever has.  I’m so aware of the way I am parenting her – each action feels like it could have huge repercussions, on today, tonight and way into the future.  Am I feeding her too much?  Is she sleeping too little?  Anxieties and frustrations are a part of each day too.  Everything she does is huge and intense and takes all of my effort and focus to understand and respond to.  I’m so trapped in our bubble.

People tell me when we’re out to treasure these precious moments while she’s still so tiny and young, and I look at them, aghast at their misconceptions.  My baby girl is huge!

When my husband comes home, he takes her into his arms, leaving me blinking and reeling from the day we’ve spent, unable to convey to him with words even half of what went on.  And when I see her curled on his chest, blinking back at me, breathing the smells of his shirt – the smells of work, and other adults, and cities, things that remind me of the life outside, and things she’s never seen, I realise how tiny she really is.  It gives me some perspective.


It teaches me the importance of putting her down, stepping away and just looking at her, just for a few seconds each day.  My baby girl is tiny, and everything she experiences is huge and intense.  But it doesn’t always need to be the same for me.  When I appreciate this, I can do my job.  I can have perspective where she can’t, I can try to put away some of my anxieties, and I can soothe her from her chaos back to calm.

4 comments:

  1. I found your blog via coffee + crumbs. I can obviously tell that you are new to blogging, as you only have a couple posts. I too started a blog this year and am about 5 months in. I have an 18 month old son who I am home with during the day and let me tell you that blog is my connection to the outside world I once knew so well :) You are a great writer and I commend you for speaking honestly about being a new Mom. KEEP DOING THAT! I have googled a million and one things since my baby was born and stumbling on coffee + crumbs has been the best. Words of encouragement and a sense of community are a MUST for Moms everywhere! Also, you have wonderful photos! My only suggestion is to make them bigger!! I blog through typepad, but used blogger for a good couple years a few years back, so let me know if you need any help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting threesixfive, and for visiting the page :)

      I'm completely new to blogging, although I've always enjoyed writing, and I'm really glad you liked what I've written. It's amazing to find a community of like minded mothers, and I've felt so much more confident since finding people with similar views.

      I'm off to check out your blog now, and make my photos bigger! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I found you via Coffee + Crumbs too - I love everything they share, but your post really resonated with me. My mom-in-law loves to tell me how easy my husband was as a child, so I feel like a failure whenever I have a difficult day with my four-year old. She gave me "The Strong Willed Child" for Christmas last year. I mean, seriously?!? Thanks for sharing so openly and honestly in your post. I'm not perfect, but I'm learning to cope. And I'm looking forward :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Holly! I'm so glad you enjoyed my post!

      It's scary how warped people's impressions of our babies can be - it's so frustrating when base their advice on a misconception, we should be able to ignore them but we can't. Good luck with your mom-in-law!

      Delete